Monday, July 19, 2010

A Question of Aesthetics

Another thing about Victorians: they ruin cute boys.

I was grumbling about Masterpiece Theater's Wuthering Heights on here before, but what I didn't mention, because it wasn't particularly relevant, is that Tom Hardy, our protagonist, but certainly not our hero, made a bit of a meh-looking Heathcliff (comma total: 6). Which is what I sort of always imagined anyway, what with his being a terrible Gypsy and totes evil.


So imagine my surprise when he showed up in Inception (go see it right now. Go see it ten times.) looking utterly gorgeous. A case can be made for Victorians and evil Gypsies uglying up all our most eligible eligibles, and they must be stopped.

Georgians, on the other hand, will do wonders with what they're given: I only like Matthew Macfadyen in all his waist-coated Darcy glory, and Simon Woods looks for all the world like Paul Bettany's learning-impaired younger brother unless he is playing the nebbish Bingley. As if I needed another reason to prefer Pride and Prejudice to the Heights.

No comments:

Post a Comment